[Updated 8/14, 10AM]
In no particular order, but the order I thought of them:
1. Richard Prince — 960 Tweets including:
2. Vito Acconci — 1 Tweet:
Superfamous, but alas it’s unlikely that it’s Acconci who made the clever account. He hasn’t owned up to it that I know of. Maybe I’ll ask him at this.
3. John Lurie — 3,201 tweets including:
John Lurie just kicks ass. Example Example
I wanted an example from a Jim Jarmusch movie, but there weren’t even clips on YouTube. Someone tweet me something great and I’ll add it.
Here’s a great John Lurie clip:
4. Marilyn Minter — 410 tweets including:
How awesome is that? I thought I knew Marilyn Minter’s work pretty well, but I’d never seen anything like this before.
5. Hank Willis Thomas — 8,142 tweets including:
This guy is prolific in his art and prolific on social media. Mostly tweets about his own work, but his work is great so we forgive him.
6. Raymond Pettitbon — 9,860 tweets including:
Have fun deciphering! I once spent about an hour with a friend working on one of these. It’s like cryptic crossword clues in the London Times. BURMA SHAVE!
7. Yoko Ono — 5,630 tweets including:
8. Queen Latifah — 921 tweets including:
(Kidding, but does anyone read past the first couple?)
8. Nayland Blake — 6,434 tweets including:
(That was the real 8 for those paying attention.)
9. Bo Bartlett — 3,318 tweets including:
(And now I’m just shouting myself out. Shameless.) Bo’s rad though. Paintings all over the US in
probably a dozen twenty-three (23) museums and public collections. His sweet and lovely wife Betsy Eby is also great on Twitter! I’d have included her outright, but Bo’s more famouser. For now.
10. William “G.E.N.I.U.S.” Powhida — 19,564 tweets including:
(Bill’s famous, right?)
10. AA Bronson (What? I had two 8’s, I can have two 10’s.) — 582 tweets including:
Hasn’t tweeted for a month or so since arriving in Germany, but he’s definitely super famous from when he was in that bluesy American rock band from Houston with Billy Gibbons, Dusty Hill, and Frank Beard.
Update 1 – 2am-ish.
Who am I missing? So far, I’ve gotten a few suggestions on Twitter. Still editing. Maybe.
Update 2 – Added blurbs about Marilyn Minter, Raymond Pettitbon, Hank Willis Thomas, and Bo Bartlett. Other famous artists will be in a forthcoming 10 (More) Famous Artists on Twitter if you put them in the comments, I’ll credit you! I’ve definitely got to add Mickalene Thomas, Tom Sachs, and others…