As I’ve gotten insanely busy, I thought I’d release what I’ve completed of the follow up to Best Art Exhibits 2011* Part 1. The last part will also have my “NYC Art Exhibit of the Year.” For now, here are ten more of the best art exhibits I experienced in 2011.
In rough chronological order of the Nerd’s visits…1. “Mark di Suvero” at Governors Island: Presented by Storm King Art (NYC)
2. “Alice Austen: Her Photographic Works” at Alice Austen House Museum (Staten Island)
4. “Washington Color and Light” at Corcoran Gallery (Washington, D.C.)
5. “Otherworldly: Optical Delusions and Small Realities” at the Museum of Art and Design (NYC)
6. “North by New York” (Curators Rob Storr and Francesca Pietropaolo) at Scandinavia House (NYC)
7. “Chelpa Ferro: Visual Sound” at the Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum (Ridgefield, CT)
8. “Taking AIM and Bronx Calling: The First Artists in the Marketplace Biennial” at Bronx Museum and Wave Hill (Bronx)
9. “Loren Monk, Location, Location, Location: Mapping the New York City’s Art World” at Leslie Heller Workspace
10. “Collecting Matisse and Modern Masters: The Cone Sisters of Baltimore” at the Jewish Museum (NYC)
It’s exciting times in nerd world these days. Stay tuned and we’ll see when I can get the next installment to you! (All of the above photos are my own, mostly culled from my Twitpic and my Foursquare.)
***edit*** Things got so busy that I never was able to add my last batch of great 2011 shows. Feel free to add your Best Art Exhibits of 2011 in the comments.